Statistics and Mathematical
Modelling in Combination
This conference will take place on 16-18 November 2022.
It will precede the biennial Forum Mathematics for Industry FMfI2022 to be held at the same location 21-24 November 2022. For more information about the Forum visit https://apcmfi.org/fmfi2022/index.html.
Both the Conference and Forum will presented in hybrid mode. Attendees are encouraged to consider attending both events to receive the maximum benefit and in-person attendance is also encouraged.
Deterministic modellers and statisticians have a lot to be gained by working as a team in which both types of approaches are used. The combination of statistics and classical dynamics has long been a fertile field, tracing back to statistical mechanics from the end of the 19th century and stochastic differential equations from the 1920s. The need to combine the two modelling approaches has never been greater and neither has the opportunity for affordable high-performance computation. During the COVID-19 pandemic, agreement has been found between agent-based models and differential compartment equations in modelling infection numbers. Each approach gives confidence to the other, and this suggests scope for new hybrid models.
Other relevant areas include:
- Model identification from a set of output data
- Inverse problems to determine transport coefficients from noisy data
- Evolution equations with uncertain model parameters
- Transport in random media
- PDE for financial derivatives based on fluctuating stocks
- Stationary distributions of ergodic dynamical systems
- Boltzmann equation based on statistical dynamics
- Transport in fractal media
- Complex systems in ecology and economics
- Probabilistic interpretation of deterministic Schroedinger equation
- Professor Andrea L. Bertozzi (University of California, Los Angeles)
- Professor Michael Stumpf (University of Melbourne)
- Professor Jukka Corander (University of Oslo)
- Associate Professor Kei Hirose (Kyushu University)
- Professor Shizuo Kaji (Kyushu University)
- Professor Natalie Thamwattana (University of Newcastle)
- Professor Malay Banerjee (Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur)
- Dr Oliver Maclaren (University of Auckland)
- Dr iadine Chadès (CSIRO)
Other speakers will be added as they are confirmed.
Level 2, 360 Collins Street Melbourne, 3000
Call for papers
If you would like to submit a paper for presentation at the conference, please do so via the 'Abstract's' tab.
Closing date for submission of papers is 21 September 2022.
- Professor Marcel Jackson – La Trobe University (Chair)
- Emeritus Professor Philip Broadbridge – La Trobe University (Deputy Chair)
- Dr Christopher Lenard – La Trobe University (Conference Co-Director)
- Dr Rebecca Chisholm – La Trobe University (Conference Co-Director)
- Dr Luke Bennetts – University of Adelaide
- Associate Professor Joel Miller – La Trobe University
- Associate Professor Winston Sweatman – Massey University, New Zealand
- Professor Luke Prendergast – La Trobe University
- Professor Osamu Saeki – Kyushu University, Japan
- Professor Kenji Kajiwara, Kyushu University, Japan
- Associate Professor Pierluigi Cesana, Kyushu University, Japan
- Dr Anja Slim – Monash University
- Dr Melanie Roberts – Griffith University
- Dr Peter van den Kamp – La Trobe University
- Diana Heatherich – La Trobe University (secretariat)
Conference Accommodation Partner - Causeway 353 Hotel
We look forward to welcoming delegates to La Trobe University Statistics and Mathematical Modelling in Combination conference and Mathematics of Public Health and Sustainability forum in November 2022.
We are pleased to offer a special discount of 20% off our best available rates at Causeway 353 Hotel when booking direct online via our website, using a special offer promo code.
Your Special Promo Code: LATROBE22
- Via our website direct to our booking site
- Enter your Special Promo Code in the Promo code area and apply
- You can now benefit from your special booking discount and make your selection
Terms & Conditions:
- Special Discount Promo Code is available to book from 6 July 2022 for stays between 14 to 24 November 2022.
- Rooms and rates are subject to availability at the time of booking.
- Room availability will vary with supply and demand and the Hotel is not obligated to provide any minimum number of available rooms on any date.
- The rates offered are for individual reservations only, for single or double occupancy.
- It is the responsibility of the client to ensure all bookings are made under the special discounted rates using the promo code provided.
- Cancellation policy of the rate selected shall apply.
- At time of reservation, the booker shall indicate their promo code, communicated by Causeway 353 Hotel, in order to benefit from the discount.
We have found out today that some of the people listed on this website have received an email from ehotelservices.org related to booking your rooms for the conference. We do not have a relationship with these people. This is not the hotel, and this isn’t anyone we are working with. This appears to be some sort of scam (or at least, highly unethical marketing scheme for a hotel reservation service you don’t need). A google search will turn up a bunch of instances of them scraping conference websites and trying to scam people. Please ignore emails from this group.
Melbourne has many accommodation options to suit all budget requirements.